Wellness & Health Deals And Discounts
Best Senior Wellness & Health Deals And Discounts
The population is growing older with the United States Census Bureau reporting that those over 65 will outnumber those under five for the first time in history. People are living longer, and this can be attributed to better diet, a focus on exercise along with many health and wellness products designed to help us live longer while staying healthy. Some of these products, such as vitamins and mobility products, are not really new, but how they are used is changing with a new demographic of older adults.
Senior Discount for Mobility Products
As we age, it is not unusual to need something to help us get around. Although some seniors resist the need for canes or other walking devices, the fact that an older person dies from a fall every 19 minutes in the United States. Therefore, if you are older or you have an older loved one you care for, having a serious conversation about their need for mobility products is critical. The most common mobility products used by older adults are canes and walkers. These products can help those who suffer from lower body pain, weakness or balance problems. If you or an older loved one lives in a home with two stories, a chair lift may be necessary. A rail is attached to a wall on a stairwell with a chair that carries the older person to the second floor. If the mobility issues are severe, you may need to have a wheelchair. Today, power wheelchairs have dropped in price, and you can often find senior discounts on this type of chair.
Senior Discounts for Therapy Products
If you or an older relative deal with swelling in the arms, a Geri sleeve may be a great therapy product. The sleeves help prevent abrasions, snags or bruises by using slight compression which also helps alleviate swelling. Consider investing in hot and cold packs that can be used to relax muscles and improve circulation in the shoulder, back or legs. Seniors who suffer from blood glucose problems should also have a blood glucose monitoring system while those who have chronic high blood pressure need a home blood pressure monitor. A pulse oximeter can help you manage your blood oxygen level while foot alignment socks can relieve foot pain by straightening crooked toes and help with foot cramping.
Senior Discounts for Vitamins and Supplement Products
Although it is usually better to get your vitamins and minerals through diet, that is not always possible. This is especially true for senior citizens as the amount they can eat usually diminishes. In addition, absorption of nutrients diminishes as we get older. Some of the most valuable supplements and vitamins for senior citizens include:
- Calcium – lack of calcium can lead to bone fractures. You can get calcium in your diet with dairy, canned fish, dark-green leafy vegetables or breakfast cereals. If your diet lacks enough of those types of food items, you may want to look into calcium supplements.
- Vitamin B6 – this vitamin is necessary for the formation of red blood cells and maintains the health of your brain plus the nervous system. You can find Vitamin B6 in liver, chicken breast, fruits that are non-citrus, potatoes and fish. A supplement may be necessary if your diet is low in these foods. You may also need Vitamin B6 supplements if you suffer from diabetes, memory loss or arthritis.
- Vitamin B9 – better known as folic acid, this slows memory loss in people over 60. It also helps your body convert carbohydrates into energy. Oranges, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and spinach are high in Vitamin B9 as are beans, peas and nuts.
- Vitamin B12 – keeps the nerves and blood cells healthy. As we age, it is harder for the body to absorb Vitamin B12, especially if you are vegan or vegetarian as it is mostly found in meat, eggs, fish, poultry and dairy.
- Vitamin D – important for bone health, you can get Vitamin D by spending time outside in the sunlight. The vitamin can prevent heart disease, diabetes and inflammation. You can also get Vitamin D in fatty fish, fortified milk, fortified cereals as well as fish oils.
Doctors also recommend a multivitamin that contains Vitamin C, potassium, magnesium and Vitamin A. Be sure to choose one that is low in sugar and sodium as well. Before taking any supplements, however, it is important that you speak to your doctor as supplements can interfere with some prescription drugs.
Senior Discounts Home Care Products
One simple device that can benefit senior citizens is a grabber. A stick with a handle that you squeeze to close a small hook on the end to get items that are on high shelves can be a lifesaver for an older person. The grabber prevents an older adult from climbing on a chair or counter to reach a high item. Another simple product to install in an older person’s home are grab bars. These can be placed in bathrooms, bedrooms or even near a chair in a family room that give an older person something to hold and pull themselves up. You can also install toilet safety rails that allow a senior to push up from the toilet easily. Pill organizers are another great home product to help an older adult keep track of their medication.
Senior Discounts Fitness Products
Because seniors have special needs when it comes to exercise equipment, it is important to choose those that give the best results without putting strain on joints, fragile bones or your heart. Recumbent exercise bikes offer a great low-impact workout. You can find recumbent bikes that fold up and store easily as well. Treadmills are also a great home workout item but be sure to choose one that has a low deck and you may want to consider one with an orthopedic belt if you have mobility issues. Free weights are a great way to do strength training without having to purchase a workout bench as well. You may even be able to use resistance bands to build strength. These are easier to store and provide an excellent workout, especially for those who are just starting out with fitness.
If you are looking for health and well-being supplies for yourself or an older loved one, be sure to register for BestSeniorDiscounts.com. We have searched for and compiled in one place some of the best discounts, allowing you to save money without having to search all over for coupons and savings. There is never a sign-up fee and you can begin saving as soon as you register.